14 Day Classic China Tour & Yangtze River Cruise
Your Our Holiday Deal exclusive deal includes:
- DAILY BREAKFAST
- ENGLISH SPEAKING TOUR GUIDE
- SIGHTSEEING & ENTRANCE FEES
READ MORE about your bonus Our Holiday Deal Extras
Uncover the best of China on this 14 Day Classic tour combining a 4-night cruise along the Yangtze River and 8 nights in the best 4-star accommodations.
Become immersed in breath-taking, lush landscapes cruising through the Three Gorges enjoying onboard entertainment, meals and 3 shore excursions. Experience the best of Beijing, Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou and Shanghai traversing China on high-speed bullet trains. You’ll set foot along the iconic Great Wall, have the chance to feel the rich history within the Forbidden City and be surrounded by architectural wonders as you explore The Bund promenade. With the chance to recharge in the Lingering Garden, visit a Silk Spinning factory, and float on the scenic West Lake along your journey, this tour is sure to impress!
YOUR NRMA OUR HOLIDAY DEAL INCLUDES:
- Return airfare & taxes with a full-service Chinese carrier including 20kg checked luggage
We’ll get you to and from your holiday with no troubles – all you need to do is pack your bag and make your way to the airport! Enjoy return airfares with a full-service carrier included in the price!
- 4-night cruise on Yangtze River in a standard cabin with private balcony, meals & entertainment onboard plus 3 shore excursions^
Marvel at the breathtaking beauty of the Three Gorges while relaxing on a charming cruise along the Yangtze River with meals, entertainment and three shore exclusions included on American-owned Victoria Cruises.
- 3 complimentary shore excursions, meals & entertainment onboard Yangtze River Cruise
Enjoy 3 complimentary shore excursions on us when you enjoy your cruise on the Yangtze River this holiday
- 8 nights local 4-star hotel accommodation
Enjoy a total of 8 nights of local 4-star hotel accommodation during your tour. Your stay is sorted as you make your way through China this holiday.
- Breakfast Daily, 4 lunches & 3 evening meals
Begin each day the right way with a full stomach when you tour China this holiday. 4 lunches and 3 evening meals are also included throughout your tour.
- Enjoy 2 high-speed bullet train rides in 2nd class seat
Race across China on-board two high-speed bullet train rides in 2nd class with the option to upgrade to a spacious 1st class seat.
- All coach transfers, sightseeing admissions & English-speaking tour guides
The last thing you want to do on your tour is think about how you’re going to get from A to B. With us, you won’t have to worry! Enjoy all coach transfers on us as well as sightseeing admissions & English-speaking tour guides when you visit China this holiday.
- Explore the very best of Beijing, Suzhou, Wuxi, Hangzhou & Shanghai
- Marvel at the dramatic Three Gorges on a breathtaking Yangtze River Cruise
- Step foot on the iconic Great Wall & Forbidden City
- Race across China on high-speed Bullet Trains
- Stroll in Suzhou’s Lingering Garden & a Silk Spinning Factory
- Taste Longjing Tea & enjoy a Boat Ride on Hangzhou’s scenic West Lake
- Discover The Bund promenade in cosmopolitan Shanghai
- Extend your trip to the experience the life-size Terracotta Warriors in Xi’an
- Service fee $156 per person ($12 per day collected on tour & onboard cruise)
- China visa (required)
- Travel insurance
DEPARTURE CITY PRICE
- From $1,499pp* ex Sydney
$500 per person non-refundable
Final payment is required 120 days prior to departure
SINGLE SUPPLEMENT PRICE
- $999pp* for single supplement
PURCHASE AND BOOK BY
31 December 2020
3 DAY XI’AN TERRACOTTA WARRIORS PACKAGE (PRE-TOUR)
$699 per person twin-share
- Be blown away by the life-size Terracotta Warrior Army
- Includes high-speed train (2nd class cabin) from ancient capital Xi’an to Beijing
- Receive 2 nights local 4-star hotel accommodation
- Single supplement: $199 per person
- Excludes service fee collected on tour: $36 per person
Day 1: Australia – Plane – Xi’an (In-flight Meals)
You will be greeted at the airport by a representative who will transfer you to the hotel. Marking the eastern end of the Silk Road, Xi’an is one of the ancient capitals of China, symbolic of ‘Eternal Peace’.
Day 2: Terracotta Warriors & Horses (B)
The highlight today is a visit to the Terracotta Warriors and Horses Museum followed by the Terracotta Warriors Reproduction Factory. Unearthed near Xi’an, the thousands of life-size sculptures of soldiers, chariots and horses are considered a world wonder. With different facial expressions and weaponry adorning each soldier, the Terracotta Warriors were believed to have been created to accompany the Qin Emperor into the afterlife. This site is among the top archaeological excavations of the 20th century and will leave you astounded by the sheer scale of the army. In the evening, enjoy an optional Imperial Dumpling Banquet and Tang Dynasty Singing & Dancing Show (not included).
Day 3: Xi’an – Bullet Train – Beijing (B)
Unearth the Small Wild Goose Pagoda, a AAAA scenic spot and World Heritage Site surviving from the Tang dynasty. Although built entirely of stone, the Small Wild Goose Pagoda is very delicate in appearance. The top three floors have been damaged, yet it really adds to the appeal of the pagoda. Later, travel to China’s sprawling capital Beijing on a high-speed train.
OPTIONAL PROGRAMS (PAYABLE ON TOUR)
- Xi’an: Imperial Dumpling Banquet & Tang Dynasty Show – RMB230 (approx. AU$49)
- Beijing: The Golden Mask Dynasty – RMB330 (approx. AU$69)
- Beijing: Hutong Rickshaw Tour with Dinner – RMB300 (approx. AU$65)
- Suzhou: Grand Canal Cruise – RMB220 (approx. AU$45)
- Hangzhou: Impression West Lake – RMB430 (approx. AU$89)
- Shanghai: ERA: The Intersection of Time or SPIRAL – RMB380 (approx. AU$79)
- Shanghai: Shanghai Day Tour with Maglev Train Experience – RMB380 (approx. AU$79)
- Shanghai: Huangpu River Cruise – RMB240 (approx. AU$49)
BULLET TRAIN UPGRADE
from $299 per person
- Upgrade to the first class cabin on the 4-5.5 hour high-speed train from Beijing to Suzhou
- Upgrade to a first-class seat on the 6.5 -7.5 hour high speed train from Shanghai to Yichang
- Enjoy larger seat
- Enjoy extra legroom
- Enjoy quieter and less crowded carriage
- Enjoy extra comfortable footrest and headrest
- Enjoy larger tray table
YANGTZE VIP PACKAGE
from $299 per person
- Upgrade to executive level (deck 4) on cruise
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in the executive lounge and lobby areas
- Complimentary shoe shine service
- Complimentary soda drink for lunch and dinner
- Complimentary house wine and beer for dinner
- Complimentary cookies, soft drinks, juice, tea and coffee in executive lounge
- Happy hour house wine, beer and soda drinks before dinner (except on second day)
- Choice of dining room for all meals between all day buffet on deck 2 or VIP dining on deck 6 featuring a la carte dinner
EARLY ARRIVAL/STAY BEHIND BREAK FEE
From $249 per person
- The break free for early arrivals, stay behinds or stopovers is collected for any deviations from the set dates and group tickets.
- Transfers and hotels are not included for arrivals and departures outside of the set group arrangements.
- Additional collection for any airfare difference may apply.
$199 per room per night including breakfast, max occupancy 3 guests (excludes transfers).
$149 per way.
2020 TRAVEL DATES
Dates denoted by an asterisk (*) incur a peak season surcharge: $149 per person
- 11, 18, 25 March
- 1*, 8*, 15*, 22*, 29* April
- 6, 13, 20, 27 May
- 3, 10, 17, 24* June
- 1*, 8*, 15, 22, 29 July
- 5, 12, 19, 26 August
- 2, 9, 16, 23* September
- 7*, 14, 21, 28 October
- 4, 11 November
Day 1: Australia – Plane – Beijing (In-flight Meals)
Upon arrival, a tour representative will meet you at the airport and transfer you to the hotel.
Day 2: Tiananmen Square & Forbidden City (B)
Visit Tiananmen Square, one of the largest public squares in the world and the venue of the infamous 1989 Tiananmen Square demonstrations. Acclaimed as the ‘Gate of Heavenly Peace’, it is the foreground to the Forbidden City, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Otherwise known as the Imperial Palace Museum, the Forbidden City is the citadel of China’s last 24 Emperors during the Ming and Qing dynasties, and was the political and ritual centre of China. Cap off the day with an opportunity to attend a legendary large-scale musical drama, “The Golden Mask Dynasty” (not included).
Day 3: Great Wall of China (B, L)
Continue your educational journey of China’s fascinating history with a stop at a Jade Museum to observe skilled artisans carve intricate designs. With more than four thousand years of history, jade stone in Chinese culture symbolises preciousness and beauty, and embodies the Confucian virtues of courage, wisdom and compassion. Before long, you will drive through the mountainous countryside to one of the top archaeological wonders of the world, the iconic Great Wall at Juyong Pass, an accessible and gentle stretch meandering over 3500 miles of China’s northern mountain ranges from the Yellow Sea to the Gobi Desert. Immerse yourself with an optional tour to experience Beijing’s 700-year old Hutongs or narrow alleys by old-fashioned rickshaw with local dinner (not included), including a visit to a local family to witness the daily lives of the people living in a courtyard-style houses.
Day 4: Beijing – Bullet Train – Suzhou (B)
Today is your chance to become experts in Traditional Chinese Medicine, a 5000-year-old practice that incorporates herbal medicine, acupuncture, massage, exercise and dietary therapy. Based on the concept of a connection between mind, body and environment to prevent and manage diseases, elements of its natural and holistic approach are widely adopted in Western medicine. With your mind and body at ease, travel by high-speed bullet train to the harmonious city of Suzhou, often described as the ‘Venice of the East’ for its classical gardens, palaces, canals and bridges.
Day 5: Suzhou – Wuxi (B)
China is the largest silk producer in the world and Suzhou is renowned for its exquisite quality silk. Today you can witness the delicate silk-making process from silkworm cocoons at the Silk Spinning Factory and testify that the handmade quilts are as light as feather. Then take a stroll in the world-famous Lingering Garden, featuring ornate viewing pavilions and a splendid landscape of water and striking rockeries. You have an opportunity to cruise along the Grand Canal (not included) to view life along China’s ancient waterway. Travel to Wuxi, the ‘land of fish and rice’, to conclude the day at famous Nanchang Street, an ancient thoroughfare showcasing the juxtaposition of traditional and modern living.
Day 6: Wuxi – Hangzhou (B)
Gain an insight into China’s enormous manufacturing and production capabilities with a visit to a Pearl Factory to learn about freshwater pearls, a key export commodity with great cultural significance since the Han dynasty. Then take in the pleasant sounds at Li Lake Park, home to egrets and many rare species of birds, and the wonderful scenery of picturesque Taihu Lake, the second biggest freshwater lake in China. Top off your evening with a spectacular “Impression West Lake” show (not included) staged entirely upon the open-air of the West Lake with a backdrop of natural mountains and real water – a truly captivating artistic masterpiece of music, light and dance produced by the theatrical director of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games’ opening and closing ceremonies.
Day 7: Hangzhou – Shanghai (B)
Described by Marco Polo as ‘the most beautiful and magnificent city in the world’, Hangzhou is considered the tea capital of China. Learn how to make local specialty Longjing Tea at a tea house while immersed in the stunning natural scenery of the village surrounds. Then enjoy a small boat ride on the UNESCO-listed West Lake where you will see the ethereal beauty of Hangzhou’s willow-draped islands. Next, transfer to cosmopolitan metropolis Shanghai to visit the famous Bund, a five-block riverfront promenade of shops and commercial buildings. Modern mega high-rises on the east and traditional European-style architecture on the west are divided by the Huangpu River. Complete a memorable evening with the option to attend a spectacular Chinese acrobatic show, “ERA: The Intersection of Time” or “SPIRAL” (not included), widely praised as the best acrobatic show in Shanghai.
Day 8: Shanghai (B)
Today is free at leisure or you may join a Shanghai Day Tour with Maglev Train Experience (not included) to soak up Shanghai’s best sights including Shanghai Bazaar where you can shop for last minute souvenirs, the affluent streets of Xintiandi composed of old-style Shikumen residences and modern architecture, and the world’s fastest commercially operating train with a top speed of 390km/h. Last but not least, one of the best ways to enjoy the extraordinary evening scenery along the Huangpu River is to take a charming “Huangpu River Cruise” (not included).
Day 9: Shanghai – Bullet Train – Yichang – Yangtze River Cruise (B)
Transfer to the railway station for a high-speed train ride to Yichang, known as ‘Gateway to the Three Gorges’, an important trading port along the majestic Yangtze River. Then transfer to your Yangtze River Cruise ship.
Day 10: Yangtze River Cruise – Three Gorges Dam (B, L, D)
Experience your first shore excursion to the Three Gorges Dam Site, one of the largest construction projects undertaken by mankind and is the biggest hydropower project in the world. Enjoy a captain’s welcome party and cultural activities in the evening. Optional shore excursion: Tribe of the Three Gorges (not included) – the only large scenic spot that has not been influenced by the Three Gorges Dam project, showcasing the Ba and Shu Cultures.
Day 11: Yangtze River Cruise – Shennong Stream (B, L, D)
Enjoy a shore excursion to Shennong Stream, a mysterious and narrow tributary famous for its picturesque scenery and announced a National AAAAA Tourist Attraction. All along the stream are signs of ancient Chinese civilisation and nature’s splendour characterised by steep ridges and peaks, massive caves, wildflowers, plank roads built along cliffs and ancient hanging coffins. Be prepared to take in the elegance of Wu Gorge and the beauty of Qutang Gorge, the defining highlights of your cruise. Optional shore excursion: White Emperor City (not included) – White Emperor City is an ancient temple that is located atop Baidi Mountain on the northern bank of the Yangtze River.
Day 12: Yangtze River Cruise – Jade Emperor Scenic Area (B, L, D)
Escape to your final shore excursion to the Jade Emperor Scenic Area in Fengdu, a recently debuted shore excursion. The sacred site features a 100-foot-tall statue depicting the Jade Emperor, an important deity in Chinese Taoism, and more than 200 Taoist and Buddhist sculptures. You will be farewelled in the evening with a captain’s banquet. Optional shore excursion: Fengdu Ghost City (not included) – Fengdu Ghost City is regarded as the ‘City of Ghosts’. The temples built on Ming Mountain depict punishment instruments and demon paintings, demonstrating the Chinese people’s imagination of hell.
Day 13: Yangtze River Cruise – Chongqing – Plane – Australia (B, In-flight Meals)
Disembark the cruise ship at Chongqing, known as the ‘Mountain City’ of China, and transfer to the airport.
Day 14: Arrive Australia
- Selected dates from: 11 November 2019 – 11 November 2020
- Xi’an: Grand Noble Hotel or similar
- Beijing: Chunhuiyuan Resort or similar
- Suzhou: Holiday Inn Express Suzhou Taihu Lake or similar
- Wuxi: Holiday Inn Express Wuxi Taihu New City or similar
- Hangzhou: Meiziqing Hotel Hangzhou or similar
- Shanghai: Q-Box Hotel Shanghai Sanjiagang or similar
- Yangtze River Cruise Ship: Victoria Jenna or similar
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
YANGTZE RIVER CRUISE
- The itinerary, shore excursions and standard and VIP package inclusions varies between ships and are subject to change due to river and other conditions.
- Optional shore excursions (not included) are payable onboard in the local currency.
- Triple-share is not available onboard. Single supplement applies for single rooms.
- Cabins are provided run of house and cannot be pre-allocated.
- You are responsible for obtaining a passport with at least 6 months validity beyond trip completion.
- It is a condition of booking that you provide full names and valid passport information and a copy of your passport photo page.
- DO NOT submit expired or invalid passport information. It is your responsibility to provide updated passport information as soon as possible (no later than 3 months before departure).
- The information you provide will be used to issue components of you booking including air, train and cruise tickets.
- You are liable for all fees due to invalid passports or the provision of inaccurate, incomplete or invalid passport information.
- You are responsible for checking all visa requirements with the local visa centre, embassy or consulate, and obtaining a valid visa for travel with enough time before departure.
CHINA VISA (GUIDE ONLY)
- You must apply for a China visa before travel.
- Self-apply within 6 weeks of departure in person or by mail via your nearest China Visa Application Centre (www.visaforchina.org) with your tour and flight itinerary.
- Prices are subject to change, availability and ‘book by’ deadlines.
- Prices are AUD per person for twin-share unless otherwise specified.
- Prices do not include optional programs, secondary admissions within sites, porter service at hotels/train stations/airports, personal expenses such as gratuities, laundry, telephone/internet charges and meals not mentioned.
- All trip costs, fees and components are fully non-refundable at all times.
- Refunds are not provided for any unused trip component including flights, transfers, hotels, cruises, optional programs, attractions, etc.
- A customary service fee not included in the package (refer to exclusions for total amount) is firmly expected and required by the guides and drivers for their services. The service fee must be paid directly to the tour leader or guide and will help ensure a sustainable tourism industry.
- Seasonal surcharges (* denoted by an asterisk) apply to certain departure dates.
- Departure city surcharges apply for certain departure cities.
- Single supplement applies for single rooms.
- Each person is entitled to a strict maximum of one checked bag not exceeding 20kg, plus one carry-on bag not exceeding 5kg.
- You are strongly encouraged to pack lightly below these limits as you will be required to carry your own bag to and from coaches, hotels, and trains. Porter service is not included.
- The Chinese and Japanese train stations are generally very large and sometimes involve 10-15 minutes of walking from the coach to the platform. Please consider that luggage will need to be carried by yourself when packing your bags. Escalators are generally available but may not be accessible at all entrances.
- Electronic documentation including e-tickets are generally emailed within two weeks of departure of your core tour, irrespective of early departures, pre-tour extensions or stopovers.
- Surcharges apply for certain departure cities and flights may be via Sydney or Melbourne.
- The default full-service carrier included in your package will be provided when you receive your final documentation.
- Please contact your travel consultant at the time of booking to request quotes for premium economy and business class upgrades.
- All flights or airfare related fees and costs are due immediately upon confirmation.
- All flights may involve up to two transits in Australian or international connecting cities.
- No show of any flight will result in the automatic cancellation of all onward flights by the airline and rebooking will be at your own expense.
- Payment or upgrades using frequent flyer points is not permitted.
- We reserve the right to adjust the itinerary and order, sightseeing and transportation as we see fit to ensure the smooth and safe operation of the tour.
- In the unusual event that a destination, sight or attraction is unavailable due to weather, local, seasonal, political or other constraints, it will be substituted with a similar alternative.
- The indicated length of trip includes time in flight and is subject to change depending on the prevailing flight schedule to be provided when you receive your final documentation. The number of accommodation nights will not change.
- Due to flight times and scheduling, some flights may depart a day before or after the indicated itinerary.
- A reference to included entrance fees refers to admissions to the main site or attraction but may not include any secondary admissions inside the venue or optional programs marked as “not included”.
- Triple-share is available on the land tour in the form of extra bedding with no discount.
- Reference hotels listed may be substituted with properties of a similar standard.
- Double room/bedding requests cannot be guaranteed, and twin bedding will be provided if request is not available.
- Confirmed hotels will be provided when you receive your final documentation.
- All hotel ratings are self-rated in accordance to local standards.
- All rooms are lead-in category or run of house unless otherwise stated.
- The standard check in time is 2:00pm and check out time is 10:00am.
- The tour is not recommended for children and persons under 18 years of age. Child discounts do not apply. The tour consists of cultural and educational sightseeing mixed with group-based activities including shows and shopping opportunities designed to be best enjoyed by adults.
- Optional programs are special ‘money can’t buy’ local experiences or activities that you may add to your tour.
- Optional programs are payable directly to the tour guides in the local currency and cannot be prepaid.
- In the unusual event that some programs or venues may not be available due to weather, local, seasonal or political constraints, every effort will be made to provide a similar alternative.
- Some tours are subject to availability and require minimum numbers to operate.
- If alternative arrangements cannot be provided due to location or logistical constraints, non-participants must wait in the vicinity of the group until the conclusion of the program as per the guide’s directions.
- It is a condition of booking that you must always remain with the tour group and guide for the entirety of the set program.
- Any departure or deviation from the set tour itinerary is strictly prohibited, unless written prior consent is provided by us. Severe penalties including cancellation of remaining land and air arrangements may be enforced without warning and rebooking will be at your own expense.
- Cultural shopping stops are included and your participation for the learning experiences is expected.
- Please always exercise discretion and request receipts as you are responsible for any purchases.
- All efforts must be made to resolve issues on tour with the tour leader. Formal complaints must be submitted in writing with substantiated evidence within 10 days of trip completion.
- Special meals are generally not available on tour. Please notify your guide of any special dietary requirements but note that choices may be limited.
- Certain meal types can be requested for the flights at the time of booking, subject to availability.
- A moderate level of fitness is required for full days of brisk walking with intermittent breaks. You may encounter occasional flights of stairs at stations. The tour is not suitable for people requiring assistance or walking aid.
- Luggage and personal effects are at the owner’s risk at all times. We hold no liability for lost or damaged luggage or belongings. Comprehensive travel insurance cover is strongly recommended.
Travel insurance is strongly recommended. Please ask your travel consultant for discounted travel insurance options.